Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Doin' Laundry


My first experience with hand washing laundry turned out to be quite an event. After going down with my bag of clothes to the center courtyard (since the water was out in our room) I began to wash my very dirty jeans, not very successfully. I had just finished and was working on my next load when a young lady came up and could obviously tell I had no idea what I was doing. She proceeded to teach me how to do laundry for the next hour and a half. Every so often she would check my clothes to see how I was doing and usually she decided, “Oh, dis is no good” and I would have to keep scrubbing. I finally finished and I must say, my white shirts have never looked this white in my whole life.

I am now a much better and more efficient clothes-washer than this first experience and I realized it is much easier to do a few items every few days rather than having the dirty laundry build up over the week or weeks. I also have discovered that I really enjoy doing laundry by hand – it can almost be meditative. Sitting out on my porch and cleaning clothes while watching people in the courtyard below is surprisingly satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment