Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Futbol

In Ghana, soccer is the national sport. But it's more than just a sport; it's a way of life, an adherence that unites the country together. All of the guys here play futbol, and even when they say they don't, they always have some skill at the game. So when I decided it would be fun to play on a team, I figured it would be easy to find some girls to play with. However, very few girls play here and it took me until a few weeks ago to find a girl who played for her hall. She enthusiastically invited me to play on the team so I went out to their practice...and found out that most teams practice at 5 or six in the morning. After one morning of waking up at 4:30, I played in their first game (unfortunately we lost) but it was a blast. The one difficult part about being the only white girl on the team is the language problem. They prefer to speak in their native tongue, Twi, which means that often I have no idea what is going on or where I am supposed to be. I also found out that their season is only three games long, so after two more games we were finished. Despite only playing for about one week, it was definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment